Thursday, January 28, 2010

birthday trip to Zion


Matt and I spent the weekend in Zion National Park without little g. They had had a large snow storm the day before we got there. The colors were beautiful; by far my favorite time of year to visit. Matt insisted on hiking Angel's Landing, despite 2-3 foot snow on the top. I admit, it was a little crazy and not very responsible but the views were fantastic and quite a way to spend a birthday (we were the only ones to have gone to the end of the trail for a day or two, everyone else seemed to turn back once the steep chains section started). Matt was egging me on the whole time, challenging my toughness while I threatened him with lifelong guilt if his pregnant wife were to slip over the edge. It worked and we made it home intact.













Snow angel on top of Angel's Landing:



11 comments:

christina q thomas said...

the desert in winter is always my favorite, too. the best, most brilliant sun, no people, all quiet.

marta said...

woah, woah.. did i read that right?! woohoo for a new addition. beautiful photos too.

Ellen said...

Hey, congratulations! From nothing to full speed ahead (kind of like us). When are you due?

Dansie Family said...

hey, our neck of the woods! what a fun hike, albeit insane! when are you due? we are having number 4 in june.

Mom said...

Beautiful views but CRAZY idea to hike it. So glad you arrived home safely.

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

love the pics! I think you should send that one of the snow angel in to a contest and win big bucks. And I like the one of Celeste looking up.

And Gig! The many faces of Gig. All so kissable.

celeste said...

July 1, mas or menos.

Anonymous said...

ok, those photos officially freaked me out! I'm so glad you guys made it back safely and I'm also super glad you took tons of pictures to give me the chills (and yet feel happy knowing you're just fine!). What a beautiful day!

Mom said...

Getting dizzy just looking are these pictures..

Mom/Paula said...

Wow! Yikes!

That hike was scary enough (and an exhilarating accomplishment) when Dad and I hiked it two years ago in March just after a small snowstorm the night before BUT with NO snow on the trail itself. It is a tempting challenge, but I'm glad that "the good angels" (as Grandpa Rasmussen likes to say) were with you.

Love,
Mom

Kristin said...

I seriously can't believe you did that in the snow. That's hardcore. I almost cried doing it in the summer.

And congrats! I didn't know you were pregnant? When are you due?

I'm having my little guy in 3 weeks! Crazy!