Wednesday, June 25, 2008

underwater


I've noticed two subtle effects of the pregnancy, especially at work. First, I feel like I'm underwater. Not in a scary, drowning sort of way, but in a lovely, dreamy, relaxing kind of way. Everything calm and tranquil, even when there is stress all around. Second, I move slower. Not just because it is physically harder to move (it definitely is), but because, again, I'm in this underwater world with persistent resistance against any sudden movement. I know this has to do with the insane amount of progesterone that is coursing through my veins.

In general, this has served me well at work. Case in point: the other day I had this patient who was laboring unmedicated. I also had a midwife student with me who had only caught a handful of babies yet in her education. As the woman went through transition, standing, swaying and leaning on the bed, my student began to realize that this woman was not going to move into the bed to push her baby out. As she had never caught a baby with a woman standing straight up before, my student began to get a little flustered. So I just swam my way, underwater, over to the delivery table, nonchalantly grabbed a blue sheet, spread it out under this swaying lady, and plopped myself down on the floor. My student took the cue, took a deep breath and placed her hands exactly right to catch a beautiful, slippery head.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

How funny! I totally know what you mean. Everything's kind of at a distance. Also, somewhat of the feeling that nothing's as important as this baby, so who cares about people freaking out at work, on the train, etc. It's all good.

Except if I were catching babies, I would probably freak out just a bit.

Deborah Barlow said...

C, So interesting...I'm provoked by this. Thanks for sharing this point of view.

familia Bybaran said...

What a lovely post. I totally agree. I am really anxious to hear about your own birthing experience considering all of your knowledge.