Sunday, May 10, 2009

mother's day

(freaky photo by Kim Anderson -- I just puked a little in my mouth)

I spent very early Mother's day morning, assisting mothers in becoming mothers. Exhausted from a long night on call. I crept into the house at 7:35am to find two irises on the table (I hate irises), next to a card addressed "Mother." Leave it to Matt to find the creepiest card and flowers ever for Mother's day. Don't get me wrong, I love it. The card consists of two five-year-olds, embracing in black and white, and under this disturbing picture it says "For My Wife." Eeewwww. I won't quote the entire Hallmark message, but I'll just give you an excerpt, "It's the hug that says, 'I believe in us.'" Okay, I'll stop there because I know you are retching. Later, Matt told me how he stood in the Hallmark aisle of the grocery store, surrounded by overweight, middle-aged men who wear their pants too high, and watched them flip through card after card, trying to find that perfect one. Thankfully, in the card there was cash specifically designated for multiple massages; Matt, you redeemed yourself.

Then, as I slept, Matt created the most amazing fleur de sel caramel chocolate cake. The recipe is from a new cookbook my brother, Spencer, gave him for Christmas, called "Baked." In the cookbook it is Sweet and Salty Cake. The amount of butter in this recipe is truly obscene; the cake looked beautiful and tasted divine. It is always so delightful to wake up at 3:30 in the afternoon to the sweet smells of rich chocolate wafting through the house. Overall, a great Mother's day. Thank you M and G.

Also, I will have you know that I did not partake of mommy-guilt today. I don't believe in it.

7 comments:

Dansie Family said...

was the cake this one: http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/2008/09/chocolate_cake_with_fleur_de_sel_caramel_filling

i made it for james' first birthday and it was divine. it didn't turn out quite as pretty as the picture, but tasted as good i am sure. i need to make it again. way to go matt!

celeste said...

It is not exactly the same, but very similar. Thanks for the link, Liz.

Mom said...

So glad your day was GREAT. Hats off to Matt..way to go..The longer I live the more convinced I am that GREAT Mothers" Days have to do with the fathers.

Deborah Barlow said...

This sounds like a perfect day.

Anonymous said...

What a good hubby. What a good mama. We'll have to get that recipe for cake.

familia Bybaran said...

I am so with you on those cards--and all the ones with babies dressed up as different things. Yuck. What the heck is mommy guilt? Happy mothers day to you!

Fritz said...

don't make the guilty mom's feel guilty about feeling guilty. talk about a one-two punch. but cake...yes, i want cake.