Monday, October 8, 2007

mema


My beloved "Mema," died last week. Her funeral was on Friday. She was not only a wonderful grandma, but a great friend. We did a lot together: going out to lunch, season tickets to Ballet West, Sunday dinners. She was a truly great lady and I already miss her. I feel so lucky that Matt and I have lived close to her for the last three years. There are so many things I love about her so I think I will list some of them:

1. we have the same nose
2. her cozy flannel quilts layered under down comforters in winter
3. receiving her handwritten cards with tender thoughts
4. how she always signed her notes "love Mema and Papa David" eventhough my grandpa has been dead for over 27 years
5. her homemade whole wheat bread recipe
6. taking my hands and shimmying to big band music
7. her stubborness
8. the very distinctive lilt of her voice (ask me and I'll imitate it for you)
9. how she pronounced the days of the week: Mon-dee, Tues-dee etc.
10. her style and class (she loved fine clothes)
11. her unconditional love

You can read about her life and the comments of those who loved her here.

9 comments:

e said...

love to you & your family celeste. I know mema was dear to all of you. she has left behind a great legacy and one fabulous nose too ! :) xoxo -buff

Lane said...

I loved your remembrances of your grandmother, especially how she signed her name and your grandfather's on her letters! That melted my heart. She has left a legacy of other great women.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Becca Ricks said...

don't forget she would also address your letters "Mr. and Mrs. Matthew Thomas"

Liz Stanley said...

let's make a big band mix in honor of mema

jamieanne said...

I love these sweet remembrances. She sounds like a treasure.

Deborah Barlow said...

Nose? Seriously? I have to think about that one. More than her nose, you have her grace and elegance. And I do love the bit about always addressing her letters to Mr. and Mrs Matt Thomas...it took her years to address my babbler to me without the name I never took on when I married Dave. She had an old fashioned streak, to be sure.

I miss her terribly.

Ellen said...

Celeste, I'm so sorry about mema. My dad also says, "mondee, tuesdee ..." We actually used to have family fights about it. I'm glad you took a more mature route in treasuring her idiosyncrasies.

Ashley A. said...

Oh this reminds me of my grandma who passed away years ago. We talked every Sunday and she asked me how things were, "down to the B.Y." I'm so sorry you lost your Mema but what nice remembrances.

Melissa said...

I loved your grandmother too and have many warm memories of times visiting her in her cute condo. She reminded me so much of my grandmother, Lorene, because of her spunk and her class. I wish I could have made it to the funeral but my mother sent me the program and it seemed like a beautiful event. My heart goes out to your family at this time.