Tuesday, January 1, 2008

free to be . . . you and me

One of my favorite library rental videos I watched as a child was Free to Be . . . You and Me. It was released in 1972 and is a cult classic for gen-Xers. It is full of star power with the likes of: Marlo Thomas, Alan Alda, Michael Jackson, Roberta Flack, (the beautiful) Rita Coolidge, Kris Kristofferson, Harry Belafonte and Mel Brooks. You have to remember that this was pre-Seasame Street and Nickolodean; kids programming was in its infancy. As a child, I remember loving its smart, offbeat humor and gender-stereotype-defying messages. Also the songs are really catchy and the parts that were filmed were done on location in NYC. Here are a few clips, including my sister Liz's favorite, "William wants a doll."

Mel Brooks and Marlo Thomas playing newborn babies:

object width="425" height="355">

William wants a doll:



Brothers and Sisters by the Voices of Harlem:




Marlo Thomas, Kris Kristofferson and Rita Coolidge (who incidentally was my fashion idol as a child until I realized her enchanting Native-American-hippie look was unattainable for a blond curly-headed kid such as myself).

4 comments:

Liz Stanley said...

ha ha awesome that you found those videos!

familia Bybaran said...

Cool videos. I showed them to Cyra and she loved it! Thanks for that.

Ellen said...

I've never heard of this! Thanks for the education.

Becca Ricks said...

after watching these videos, I immediately looked on youtube for the "Mommies are people...people with children" song. So funny!!