Sunday, January 13, 2008

ultralight


Matt and I decided to pool our resources for Christmas instead of our usual small gifts for each other. We've lived in Utah for three years and I'm embarrassed to say we didn't have any backpacking or camping supplies. For people who love to hike this seemed unconscionable. Starting from scratch, we decided to outfit ourselves fully. My biggest peeve about backpacking in the past has been the weight of the pack. Fortunately, new ultralight technology is now available and my problem is solved. The end result: my pack's base weight is only 8 pounds! That means everything I bring except for water and food is 8 pounds! I have a 25 degree down sleeping bag that feels like sleeping in a warm cloud (I've never had any desire for winter camping--just three seasons for this gal). We are already planning our first backcountry trip in southern Utah for March. I'm so excited! (By the way, the picture above is a birth petroglyph from southern Utah--Check out the breech presentation, feet first!)

7 comments:

Becca Ricks said...

Are you going to go hiking in souther n Utah?

Liz Stanley said...

it's gonna be awesome. i hope henry likes camping

jamieanne said...

An 8 pound pack is almost (but not quite) enough to get me out backpackin' around!

Deborah Barlow said...

Celeste,
What a gorgeous petroglyph. And your upoming trek sounds like a worthy venture.

familia Bybaran said...

Wow. I am so jealous. I miss that most about Utah.

Lane said...

If you want some tips for awesome winter camping in Utah's Dixie, you should consult Daniel and Robby. They've planned some epic trips in the past.

I love San Raphael Swell. Have fun--I'm jealous :)

Dansie Family said...

number 1, i love the petroglyph.
number 2, good job and gearing up. we try to do one trip a year. we missed out last year on account of being pregnant.
we'd love to see you if you are in the neighborhood.