Wednesday, March 26, 2008

ultralite backpacking in Grand Gulch

Matt and I took our new gear on a backpacking trip last week to Grand Gulch in southern Utah. Grand Gulch is really only accessible to backpackers, and has some of the most concentrated areas of Indian ruins in the nation. I'm proud to say that I was so distracted by it all that I didn't puke once! It was a little freaky as we hiked down into the canyon the first day, because it was snowing, and climbing into the depths of the earth with your home on your back in the snow made me feel very vulnerable and without shelter. The first night, the temperatures dropped below freezing and our water froze. Let's just say it wasn't the most comfortable sleeping experience; the following nights were not as cold. All in all it was beautiful, exhilarating, and I would definitely do it again. To top it off, my total pack weight was less than 20 lbs!


Hiking in, on a cold morning:

















Hand pictographs, just my size:


















Matt looks a little miffed (notice the $1 price tag on the brim of his DI hat - he refused to remove it):




















Me in Perfect Kiva (I think there is a slight belly visible in this pic):

















Me scrambling out of the canyon with my pack:

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I was hoping to see some pictures and you didn't disappoint me! Looks like tons of fun. I want to go....promise to be a good hiker. Love, Mom

Ellen said...

Wow, you're tough to do that in the freezing cold! Looks beautiful. I don't know southern Utah all that well, so I'm glad you are acquainting me with it. See you soon!

Katrina said...

That trip looked awesome! I'm so glad that you were feeling great and that you didn't turn into a complete ice cube (thought you may have lost some toes along the way). Love seeing the little belly too.

Becca Ricks said...

Celeste your hike looks so bomb! I wish the weather were that warm and sunny all the time...

Becca Ricks said...

oh except you said it was cold. just kidding :)

Deborah Barlow said...

Beautiful photos Celeste. Glad you felt strong and healthy.

Ashley A. said...

I miss hiking and camping in Utah although freezing temps wouldn't be my ideal :). Glad you had a great time.

Dansie Family said...

looks like fun. i love that you backpack while you are prego. way to go. we were just in moab and we went on a rock art tour as well although ours was via auto. anywho we saw a fun "birthing" petroglyph, breach style.

Lane said...

We were just talking about S. Utah a few days ago. When I'm far away, it seems like a wonderland that maybe almost doesn't exist.

familia Bybaran said...

Man, I am so jealous of this hike. Give it up for UT. It looks absolutely unbelievably fun.

ali said...

That black and white shot is gorgeous. Though I don't detect any belly yet. :)