Saturday, July 12, 2008

mama bear


We went to The Roots concert on Thursday night as part of the free Twilight Concert Series in Gallivan plaza. Matt had scouted out a perfect spot earlier in the day and hung out there to make sure I had shade and a good position to see the stage. As it got more and more crowded we began to see that this crowd was much bigger and jerkier than any of the crowds at the same concert series last year. At one point, this drunk guy was trying to jump up over the wall I was sitting on and he lost his balance and fell right on my stomach. I freaked out (Matt didn't have time to stop me), grabbed him by the chest and threw him to the ground, yelling like a banshee that he was a "f-ing idiot" (although I used the real f-bomb and not the euphemism). He looked incredibly bewildered; I'm not sure he realized what hit him. To be perfectly honest, I was pumped. It felt good to be truly enraged, invigorating, but also frightening. I really think I could have beat that guy up. But Matt said it wouldn't be satisfying anyway because he was drunk, and it is apparently so much more satisfying to beat someone up who is in their right mind (I'm not so sure of that, Matt).

7 comments:

Ellen said...

Dang Celeste, that must have hurt. I totally got an adrenaline rush just reading your story. Unfortunately, the guy probably won't remember it or if he does, won't understand why you were so angry. So in that sense, I agree with Matt that if he were sober, it might have been more satisfying to teach him a lesson that he would NEVER FORGET. I'm just glad you're okay (I assume you are, since you didn't mention any problems).

thechoulespauls said...

only celeste could have the strength to beat up a guy while pregnant. I love it

Ashley A. said...

Never and I mean never mess with a pregnant woman! Hormones, emotions and general discomfort coupled with a new protective instinct make her a lethal combo. Just ask Corey about the flying heater fan incident. I maintain that I am not responsible for my actions when pregnant and think that guy is lucky he got away without a bloody nose.

renae said...

i LOVE that you had that reaction! i bet it felt good to just flip out for a second :) and you sure had a justifiable reason-- what a jerk. since you and your belly are ok, picturing that scene in my head is probably the funniesy thing i've "seen" all day.

Deborah Barlow said...

Mama bear indeed...when that kind of energy shows up in us, it is a powerful manifestation of life force. Thanks for sharing and reassuring the rest of us that you, with all your calm and presence, also have red wildness in you. I'd never tangle with you, drunk or not!

'' said...

Celeste,
That is quite a story. Chris and I got a good laugh out of the Mama Bear attacking the drunk guy. Just wait until your holding her in your arms, mama bear really enrages. We are glad everything was ok.

Chris and Jana Sund

Ye Stewart Clan said...

Okay I totally relate to that. I know it is the hormones but it just seemed like the only thing that could help my morning sickness when I was pregnant was anger, and a lot of it!