Wednesday, March 28, 2007

knitting book


I've found a new favorite knitting book by the owner of Purl Soho called "Last-Minute Knitted Gifts," and after putting it on hold at the library it is finally mine! Inside it has great patterns for leg warmers, finger-less handwarmers, small funky gifts and sweaters. I may have to buy a copy though, as I'm someone who likes to own a book and not just borrow. In the past I've been intimidated by sweater-knitting and have stuck to mostly scarves and hats, but maybe it is time for me to bite the bullet. I wish yarn was more affordable--nice yarn in natural fibers, that is--you can always find cheap acrylic yarn at a craft store, but for your creations to look and feel like quality, you need to make them out of wool, cotton, cashmere, or silk.

My favorite online discount yarn store is also my favorite offline discount yarn store, Smiley's Yarns. I used to go to their 50-75% off sale in Manhattan every year and stock up on soft, nubby yarns. Check out their sale on designer yarns, you won't be disapointed.

5 comments:

Ellen said...

Okay, so this comment isn't specifically about knitting, but welcome to the blogging world! I'm excited to read about your adventures, baby catching or otherwise, as is Scott.

Liz Stanley said...

can't wait for knitted christmas gifts!

Becca Ricks said...

Celeste, I love the purl bee website! It's actually on in my favorites on this comp...

celeste said...

ellen, nice to hear from you!

ali said...

I want you to teach me how to knit. And I want you to make me some silk or cashmere legwarmers. :)