Tuesday, June 19, 2007

favorite salad



I promised my co-workers that I would post the recipe for my favorite salad that I brought last week to a goodbye party for one of the midwives I work with. I also made it last Thanksgiving (for those of you lucky enough to have partaken of Matt's smoked turkey extraordinaire at our traditional Barlow feast). Here it is:

1/2 sliced red onion
2 avocados sliced
strawberries sliced
gorgonzola cheese
mixed greens

(you can also use pears, craisins, peaches, etc)


Top with sugared almonds:
1/2 c. sliced almonds
3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 Tbsp butter

(Cook almonds in frying pan until golden and carmelized--be careful not to burn)


Dressing:

3/4 Tbsp poppy seeds (optional)
1/3 c. white vinegar
3/4 c. canola oil
1/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. grated onion
3/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp mustard

6 comments:

Liz Stanley said...

this salad is seriously so good. mmmmmmmm. the perfect summer salad

marta said...

this looks amazing and sounds so refreshing. thanks for the recipe!

familia Bybaran said...

This looks phenomenal. I am going to make it soon. I even have most of the ingredients in the fridge. Great idea.

Lane said...

Yum. While I was reading this I stopped at the carmelized nuts part, not realizing there was more.

That's probably where I would stop with the recipe, too, forgetting about the lettuce once I got to the butter and sugar.

Thanks for another great Thomas recipe!

jamieanne said...

Mmmm...

love.boxes said...

This salad looks just like summer!